Whether you are a builder or building your own custom dream home, the importance of a high quality roofing system is often overlooked. There are so many costs and factors to consider and for many it is tempting to settle for the cheapest option that meets bare minimum standards when it comes to the roof. We get it, most people would rather spend more on the features that you notice; the hand scraped hardwood floors, the luxury counter tops, an oven that you can set to preheat from your phone. While these are all great features that you will enjoy, your roofing system protects them all as well as the rest of the house from the elements. The peace of mind of a quality roofing system; knowing that it is designed to last and withstand the forces of nature such as heavy rain, ice and snow and high winds is often taken for granted.
At Aucoin Roofing Inc., minimum building code is not enough. Every roofing system we install is completed to the same high standards whether it is a roof replacement or a new build. Here are some of the things we do as a standard that many builders will opt out of or choose lower grade materials as these standards are not required by Ontario Building Code;
- Lifetime warranty architectural shingles with 130mph wind resistance rating. (many builders use 25 year shingles with 60mph wind resistance rating)
- Ice and water shield at eaves, valleys, wall intersections and critical areas (minimum requirement is felt paper at eaves to 2ft past interior wall)
- Synthetic underlay over entire roof deck, regardless of roof pitch (code and some manufacturers only call for this up to a 8:12 pitch and many builders/roofers don’t do it)
- Install drip edge flashing at eaves (not required by OBC, many builders opt out)
- Open cut valleys with metal flashing
- Steel slant back style vents (many builders opt for cheaper plastic vents)
Email us your house plans in PDF format and we will provide you with a free detailed quote package prior to beginning your construction project!